[Tagging] Street exits

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 15 08:18:33 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-15 09:54, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 15. Jun 2018, at 08:28, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The street is residential, but the exit is over a sidewalk, with a dropped curb. That's the piece I'm talking about: not the street, just the exit.
>>
>> Rules (legally) implied are that traffic can pass over this sidewalk, but has to give way to all sides and all others including pedestrians. Speed is limited to 15 Kmph (living_street rules).
>
> as I said, this is the kind of junction of german living streets, including rules and appearance.

But (in NL at least) not all such junctions are with a living street.

The essence is that entering or leaving a side road over one of these
constructions counts as a "special manoeuvre", just like reversing and
turning in the street. You have to give way to just about everything.

When you compare a junction with this "exit construction" (Dutch:
uitritconstructie) with a similar junction without it from a drivers
perspective, the "main road" is automatically a "priority road" at that
junction, without the need for a yellow diamond. Otherwise the through
road would have to yield priority to traffic from the right. Pedestrians
crossing the side road following the main road have priority in both
cases.

Colin