[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Wed Jun 20 17:53:56 UTC 2018

{Public transport platforms/stops represent a transition between two different types of movement. Usually foot on one side, and some form of vehicle on the other.

To fully map this, you need two nodes/ways/areas.

One, which is connected to the foot network. That is your public_transport=platform. In this regard, PTv2 is easier than the old scheme, as you no longer have two separate highway=platform and highway=bus_stop. You only have a single public_transport=platform. If it’s on a node, then it’s just a simple pole or otherwise marked stop without any real platform, if it’s tagged on a way (representing the platform edge) or an area (representing the whole platform) then you got an actual platform.

And one, which is connected to whatever network the vehicle runs on. rails, highways, waterways, whatever. That is your public_transport=stop_position.

You CAN map both of these, but you NEED only one of them for a stop. That is clearly documented on the wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport

“It is not necessary to map both the platform and the stop position. One of the two is enough. Mappers in some countries map both (e.g., Germany) while other countries primarily map platform nodes as the only objects containing all the stop's details…”

If you only map one of the two, then it’s better to map the platform instead of the stop_position, because the stop_position can usually be derived approximately by finding the closes point on the route to the platform node/way, but you can’t very well derive the position of the platform from the stop_position.

So, valid minimal tagging under PTv2 is very simple:

You have one node (if there is no clear platform) or a way (along the platform edge) or area (the whole platform), which is tagged as public_transport=platform (plus whatever mode of transport is served at the platform, so bus=yes or tram=yes, or …)

That’s it.