[Tagging] emergency=first_aid_kit

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 21:53:46 UTC 2018

On 21/06/18 05:43, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:25 PM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch
> <mailto:simon at poole.ch>> wrote:
>
>     I'm actually not quite happy with the whole thing as it would seem
>     to range from a potentially staffed first aid facility to what you
>     were looking for, a simple first aid kit. In practical terms that
>     would be a rather big difference that should be reflected in the
>     tagging.
>
> Please sort it out soon.  I can't wait to map the first aid kit in the
> cabinet in my bathroom.  I already have a name for it!  One
> day I'll stock it with more than a few sticking plasters, but it's a
> green plastic box with a white cross on it and it says
> "first aid" on it.
>
> More seriously, I'm not convinced about this one. First aid kits are
> small enough to move around.  They may or may not
> be complete.  There may or may not be a trained first-aider who knows
> how to use them.  To the extent that legislation
> in some jurisdictions may required all companies above a certain size
> to have one, is there any point mapping them?

There are fist ad kits .. and first aid kits .. this one is a chest
https://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/wa/our-services/medical-chests/

Some information on the use of these chests ?
"If there is a medical chest at their location, the worker can call the
RFDS on our medical advice line and ask for medical assistance. The call
would then be transferred to an RFDS doctor, who will speak to the
patient and diagnose the condition over the phone. The doctor will then
prescribe a drug from the chest, for example, number "134" antibiotic
eye drops, and give the patient instructions on what to do.

At the end of the phone consultation, the doctor will also provide the
patient with a consult number which is needed to re-order the drug once
it has been used.

This scenario is also applicable to emergency situations. In the event
of something serious like an amputation, crush injury or severe burn,
medical chest custodians have access to RFDS doctors who will assess the
situation via phone, prescribe appropriate pain relief and/or other
medication, and arrange for an aeromedical evacuation if necessary."

Note that calls to the RFDS are usually done by HF radio. Satelite
phones have become popular with tourist too, but the 'locals' still
prefer the HF radios.

I don't know if they should be mapped .. th elocals know where they are
and who is in ca=harge of it. So ther may not be much call for mapping
them.

Possibly a sub tag should be required?  Something along the lines of
what level of first aid can be supplied? minor aliments, minor wounds,
minor crush injuries, aliphatic shock, amputation, major trauma...