[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 22:02:48 UTC 2018

I'll help you with those as well, as long as we can keep those dreadful
stop_position nodes out of it :-) (and tag the stops as nodes next to the
way).

but feel free to follow what the wiki seems to say, I'll probably help you
anyway, no worries. At the end of the day, you'll be the one who will be
maintaining those routes in the future. For the routes that I plan to
maintain, I want only a single node per stop in the route relations, which
has all the details exactly 1 time.

As I want to be able to see on which side of the street they are
positioned, I create them as nodes next to the way (so stop_position nodes
won't do for that purpose). A few years ago I asked which public_transport
tag to use for them, and the answer was platform, so I ran with that. Even
in those places where there was no actual platform. The biggest advantage
was that JOSM added them to route and stop_area relations with a platform
role. Apart from that it was probably a waste of storage bytes. The more I
think about it, the more Ilya's proposal to simply use highway=bus_stop
seems like the right thing to do.

And for those places where there are actual platforms those get tagged
highway=platform (no mode of transport, only maybe
wheelchair=yes/tactile_paving=yes and maybe a height). These are the ones
mentioned in this thread by the way, the ones that don't make sense to
change the rendering for.

What we were asking to change the rendering for are the supposed
replacements of highway=bus_stop/railway=tram_stop, but the more I think
about it, the less this seems necessary.

Polyglot