[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:30:43 UTC 2018

You guys are hilarious. I actually helped Paull Allen with his questions on
how to map that bus line. It's where the discussion about reverse role came
from, by the way.

Anyway, I removed the stop_position nodes from the route relations yes. It
shows that it's perfectly possible to map bus lines with nodes next to the
highways and without having to duplicate information across 2 objects and
then having to add both those objects to the route relations.

In general the data was improved and Paul learned how he can map a complex
bus line that does illogical things.

If Paull feels it would be better to have those stop_postion nodes in the
route relations anyway, he can add them back in. They dont add information
though.

Paul's concern was rather that the stops come first in the relation
foloowed by the ways. He would prefer to add the stops sprinkled between
the ways.

I'm looking into how feasible that would be in JOSM. There is something to
say for doig it that way, but only if there is support from the editor
software. Because the reason why we have a long string of ways, is because
now we get visual feedback that this sequence of ways is continuous. (or
not)

Anyway, I think we need to rethink how public transport should be mapped in
OSM, as what we are doing right now is too compilcated and data needs to be
duplicated between stop_position nodes and platform nodes/ways. I have been
silent about this for years, from now on I will keep hammering on this.

And to get back on topic changing the rendering of highway=platform or
railway=platform on ways is not useful. Those are just fine the way they
are. It's the platform nodes (previously highway=bus_stop) that we are
concerned about.

Jo (Polyglot)