[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

Alan Grant alangrant72 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:40:02 UTC 2018

On 22 June 2018 at 11:01, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  If I'm right, the only downsides are that I have to map two distinct
> objects (platform and
> stop position) and I have to repeat information (the name of the stop, at
> least) for both.

I have found that the downside is not so much in the initial mapping as in
the subsequent maintenance. Mapping two distinct objects from scratch is
tedious but do-able, especially if done by one mapper who takes a
consistent approach. But at least in my city, urban bus routes and their
stops change a lot and thus require a lot more maintenance than trams and
railways (without even getting into repairing relations that get broken by
other mappers working on something other than public transport). If the
stop moves and another mapper decides to update the map, you have to hope
they realise that the position and maybe the name and reference tags need
to be changed for 2 objects (or maybe 3 if there is a stop_area relation),
as well as updating the route relation itself.

Another downside, and apologies for going on about this but I haven't seen
a clear answer, is that you have to decide whether to add "bus=yes" to the
platform node (and indeed highway=bus_stop if you want to give it a good
chance of being generally rendered), and again hope that other mappers
agree with your approach.