[Tagging] iD presets

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 12:52:32 UTC 2018

> Good news - iD already allows anyone to replace the presets.  You could
>> make an iD that contains just presets for HOT mapping, for example.  People
>> are doing this already, but it requires making a copy of iD and hosting it
>> somewhere.  This will change soon:  we have an open issue
>> <https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/5049> to allow preset
>> replacement at runtime via a .json file (an request that came out of our
>> recent OSM-US hackathon, and HOT wants this too).
>>

> while this is great in principle, I believe it should be way easier. Yes,
> iD is open software and everybody can re-use it, but we are discussing the
> situation for the official, OSMF deployed, iD instance to which you get by
> default when you click "edit" on the OSM map. This is the editor a lot of
> people use, especially those that contribute occassionally, and that are
> not interested in or looking at tags. Experienced mappers can already use
> the "all tags" sections and control and modify tags as the like.

if iD provided a mechanism to choose from different sets of presets (or
maybe compose different subsets of presets to a set), the default set could
be the one that most of all active mappers in the previous month have used.
Not sure about translations (whether to consider statistics by localized
version or as a total).

Cheers,
Martin