[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 22:55:46 UTC 2018

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 at 19:36, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

Have been following this whole conversation with interest (&, I must admit,
some confusion!).

Not wanting to be at all awkward :-), but if

The stop_position is the spot where the vehicle stops, it is not strictly
> needed for routing (of pedestrians) but the bus needs to know where to stop
> (doesn't typically need OSM navigation to drive his bus though).

then why are we all worrying so much about stop positions? The driver knows
he has to stop at this location, & (I'm pretty certain! :-)) he's not
staring at his phone / GPS to see if OSM says he at's exactly the right
spot on the ground to stop the bus!

Or are we making provision for fully autonomous driverless buses, relying
on OSM for guidance to find their correct stops? :-)