[Tagging] public_transport=platform rendering on osm-carto

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:23:38 UTC 2018

It is not needed to have a platform. In that sense the
public_transport=platform is a misnomer for the node that represents the
bus/tram stop., but it is what was decided we would use.

Maybe we should come up with a v3 where that node gets a different value,
say public_transport=passengers_zone/area/spot. But it really doesn't
matter, as long as we don't interpret the word platform in
public_transport=platform literally when applied to nodes.

All that we need is a node that represents the bus or tram stop, which is
the only object that contains all its properties as tags and which is the
only object that needs to be added to the route relations.

Even for longer platforms the platform could be drawn as an area and the
approximate location whete the passengers are supposed to wait for (their
section of) the train can be marked with such nodes. Still no stop_postion
nodes needed on the railway.

The whole reason why we started marking the stations on the railway ways
themselves, is that all the way in the beginning a decade ago, we never
imagined the level of detail we are mapping at nowadays would be feasible.

So railways where represented with a single OSM way for several tracks. If
you work at that level of abstraction, it makes sense to add the stations
as nodes on those OSM ways. We continued doing this when we started mapping
each track as an OSM way and it spread to tram lines.

Nowadays it doesn't make sense anymore. What cam instead is that for some
unfathomable reason it is considered alright to duplicate details across
several objects and then more than one of these objects would need to be
added to the route relations.

It's not too late to rethink this and go for a solution that scales well
and is easy to understand for anyone.

By scaling well, I mean thatt the node that represents a stop, does not
need to be converted to a way at any moment in its lifetime.

For those stops that do have platforms, we can add them as separate
way/area objects. No need to add name/ref/etc to them, no need to add them
to the route relations. The nodes that represent the stops have that
function.

Polyglot