[Tagging] emergency=first_aid

Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 16:28:49 UTC 2018

> On Jun 23, 2018, at 10:58 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1, if you want to describe the position of a first aid kit, a sensible tag seems emergency=first_aid_kid
> For a staffed location where you go for first aid, emergency=first_aid seems ok (I’d rather use something more verbose like first_aid_station or facility to avoid confusing them with the kits).

Let’s just keep this scoped to first aid kits.  If it was staffed location, I’d probably use something under `healthcare=*`  (maybe `clinic`)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:healthcare#Values <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:healthcare#Values>

> Generally, it is not OK to set up wiki pages for rarely used tags out from nothing, they should be added as proposals to make it easier for inexperienced mappers to distinguish established tags from adhoc drafts without consolidated content.

Yes it is OK to
- invent a new tag value and
- setup a wiki page for it and
- notify the tagging list.

People do this all the time (maybe without notifying the tagging list, but let’s encourage more of that).

Proposals should only be for when we’re inventing a new toplevel key or introducing a change that affects a lot of things (like PTv2, healthcare, etc).  I see a lot of proposal misuse and proposals that shouldn’t be proposals in the first place - let’s stop doing this.

FWIW, someone else already made the wiki page.  I’ve cleaned it up and added the preset to iD.

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency=first_aid <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency=first_aid>
So that’s the tag.  Be glad we accomplished something!

Thanks,  Bryan