[Tagging] shop=shoe_repair

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 12:26:21 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com
> wrote:

> As part of processing
> https://github.com/simonpoole/beautified-JOSM-preset/issues/35
> I encountered shop=shoe_repair
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dshoe_repair had
>
> "It is unclear, whether this tag should be used over the documented
> craft=shoemaker (no proposal/discussion was found). "

These two are definitely different things.  In fact, there are three
distinctions to be made.

1) A modern shoe factory, using mass-production techniques.

2) A place where shoes are made by hand.  The old name for a person who
does this is cordwainer.

3) A place where shoes are repaired.  The name for a person who does this
is cobbler.

These terms have complications.

The term "cordwainer" is considered by many to be archaic and it is not
much used.  Probably because
people who make shoes by hand are rare (in developed countries) and they
usually cater to a small luxury
market.

The term "cobbler" is often used for cordwainers as well as those who
repair shoes, another reason
for "cordwainer" dropping out of common usage.

Some cordwainers (shoe makers) are also cobblers (shoe repairers), although
they may only be
willing to repair shoes they themselves made.  Hence modern usage of
"cobbler" to mean either
or both.

So, yes, craft=shoemaker and shop=shoe_repair apply to different things.
And are inconsistent,
to a degree, in that one specifies a shop and one a craft.  Other than
that, I'm happy with your edit
(if you want to add the terms "cobbler" and "cordwainer" I wouldn't object,
but if you don't want to
I still won't object).

We should probably also document man_made=works + product=shoes for the big
shoe factories,
otherwise people may resort to craft=shoemaker for them because it's the
only thing they can find
in the wiki that seems to match.

--
Paul