[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - leisure=racetrack

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 16:42:44 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Lorenzo Mastrogiacomi <lomastrolo at gmail.com
> wrote:

> I have already RFC-ed this proposal in 2016 but it remained there.
> I would like to go to the voting stage, please check it.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/leisure%3Dracetrack
>
> My vote is no.

Because the proposal specifically excludes any other kind of racing than
motor racing.  Other kinds of
racing (horse, dog, horse and trap, etc.) also refer to their facilities as
a racetrack.  I object to you pre-empting
"racetrack" specifically for motor racing to the exclusion of any other
kind of racing.

This means that when somebody wants to tag a dog track they'd have to
invent something like
leisure=dogtrack.  Or they'd just use whatever their favourite editor pops
up as a preset in response
to "race" without investigating if it is actually appropriate.  So we'll
end up with dog tracks mistagged
as leisure=racetrack, or tagged as a mix of leisure=dogtrack,
leisure=dog_racing, etc.

I know you're interested only in car racing, but even that has pitfalls.
What about F1 racing versus stock car
racing?  And are you also excluding motorbike racing?

As it stands, your proposal is just going to end up with a mix of bad
tagging.  IMO: if your proposal says
"this excludes XYZ" without it pointing to ways of tagging XYZ because
there aren't any ways of tagging
XYZ then it's a bad proposal.  Because many people tagging using their
favourite editor are unlikely to read that
proposal (or the eventual wiki page) and won't get any alternative presets
presented to them to tag XYZ.

If you amend your proposal so that leisure=racetrack applies to any kind of
racing and add a racetrack=* tag
with a few possible values such as motor_car, dog, horse, horse_and_trap
then it becomes more sensible.
But still needs some thought with regard to F1, stock car, etc.  And some
thought as to multi-purpose tracks:
do they get semicolon-separated values or the value "mixed"?

All in my opinion, of course.

--
Paul