[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - highway strip

Jyri-Petteri Paloposki jyri-petteri.paloposki at iki.fi
Tue Jun 26 07:06:20 UTC 2018

On 26.06.2018 09:29, Philip Barnes wrote:
> No strong opinion either, but how are these verified. Is there some
> sort of sign?

At least in Finland there is a warning sign of low-flying airplanes
(<https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_Suomen_liikennemerkeist%C3%A4#/media/File:Finland_road_sign_182.svg>)
and stopping is forbidden on the strip. The strips also have certain
characteristics: They're usually paved wider than needed for highway use
and traffic signs and trees have been cleared from even wider, any
necessary traffic signs being far on the side at least on Finnish strips.

AFAIK these are also marked in aviation maps, if the user has access to
those.

> Don't really have a strong opinion on it either way, just to raise a
> point for discussion... but if it's for emergencies, should it have
> some tag in the emergency=* namespace?

I think in reality these are used mostly for military exercises,
although they're marked as emergency landing strips in aviation maps, so
I'm not sure. Perhaps some kind of combination could make sense,
suggestions? This is somewhat similar to emergency=landing_site, but the
highway strips are at least in Finland not used actually for emergency
landings but for military exercises, which makes me think at least one
of the tags should be in aeroway=*.

Of course one possibility would be to combine emergency=landing_strip
and military=highway_strip (or something like that), but at least
military=airfield seems to also require an aeroway=* tag, so why not
this one too.

Best regards,
--
Jyri-Petteri Paloposki