[Tagging] tower:type=suspension

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 12:36:20 UTC 2018

> As we see that tower:type is cluttered by power values here, it would be
> great to move to a new key.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tower:type
>
> The cluttering is real : a power tower can also be used as a communication
> tower and we can't tag it.
> tower:type is too restrictive also.

tower:type is intended as the main reason for a tower, I believe. If
someone puts a communication device on top of a power tower, it can still
be seen as power tower without the type of tower changing (there is no
intrinsic meaning of "type" anyway, it only gets defined by the values that
are associated). Communication capabilities of the installation could get a
new tag (for the tower as a node) or antennas and things could be added.
There is a proposed relation for attaching things to nodes, and some
mappers are using "attached_to" as a tag.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Node
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/attached_to

Cheers,
Martin