[Tagging] still_visible_on= or maybe still_visible_in=

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 23:33:55 UTC 2018

 From subject [Tagging] still_visible_on=* or maybe still_visible_in=?

On 27/06/18 23:55, Richard Welty wrote:

> On 6/27/18 9:52 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>>:
>>
>>      Sometimes it makes sense to do not fully delete OSM elements
>>      representing completely
>>      destroyed objects.
>>
>>      For example, completely destroyed road should not be present in
>>      OSM, but it may make sense
>>      to keep destroyed:highway=service until it is not visible on
>>      various aerial images to avoid remapping
>>      it by armchair editors.
>>

>> Generally I agree it can be helpful to state for a transition time
>> that something is gone but still visible in common aerial imagery.
>>
>> What is a "completely destroyed road"? Can there still be the roadbed?
>> Drainage system / remains? Much more common than something vanishing
>> completely is partial removal or decay. Often, traces remain. We
>> should also raise awareness in this regard, so that people consider
>> their options carefully after discovering a discrepancy between the
>> ground reality and our map.
>>
>> For a very specific use case there is natural=tree_stump which can
>> often be a good choice to convert a natural=tree into, after it was
>> cut. But it isn't suitable if they removed the stump as well
>> (encountered this just 2 days ago).
> i would tend to use the existing disused: namespace for things that are
> disappearing.

No.
Disused is for things that are still present and can be reactivated with little effort.

If it is gone .. then it is not there.

I would use the source= tag to stipulate the source of where the information comes from, and if necessary to state that imagery from other sources are out of date at this time.
I have done this a few time. I have even had to do it on stuff i started to change to map imagery .. only to discover other imagery had the presently maped stuff on it.
Use that source key. It really helps other mappers.