[Tagging] Boot cleaning stations

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 23:57:56 UTC 2018

On 29/06/18 19:50, Peter Elderson wrote:
> Bless you, my son.

Thank you.

> <mailto:pla16021 at gmail.com>>:
>
>     On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>     <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         man_made=boot_cleansing ??
>

>     Seems about as good as anything else.  Not really leisure or
>     amenity because it's not for fun and it's
>     more of a requirement than a lifestyle choice ("I think I need to
>     get my boots cleansed one day this week," or
>     "Let's go for an afternoon of boot cleansing").

One person has commented that it really is footwear cleansing .. to
cover shoes, boots .. etc.

>         I used 'cleansing' rather than 'cleaning' to try and get away
>         from the beatification thing.
>

>     There's only one location where boot beatification could take
>     place.  But I doubt the Pope would do it.
>     Perhaps you meant beautification. :)
>
>         May be at the same time a tag for boot/shoe beatification
>         should be created so they are distinguishable in OSM and
>         mappers then have the choice rather than lumping them all in
>         together.
>

>     Assuming you meant beautification, then I'd agree.  If you
>     document it but nobody uses it then all you've wasted is a
>     few words in the wiki.  If you don't document it then people WILL
>     abuse your cleansing tag because it's the best fit
>     they can find (If the boot fits, beatify it).

Yes. I really do want to avoid the misuse of the tag by those who cannot
be bothered to make a more correct tag.

The use of the term 'footwear' is too cumbersome, especially if
translated into other languages. I'd like to keep it simple.
  In order to separate the two I like to distinguish them by using shoe
for the beautification/cleaning and boot for the cleansing/purging.
The boot is usually seen as the more rugged of the two and usually taken
as the thing used for bush-walking/tramping etc.

So possibly

man_made=shoe_cleaning

and

man_made=boot_cleansing
or
man_made=boot_purging

Any other ideas as to words to use?
I like that purging is a significantly different form from cleaning -
leading to more visual separation between the two tags.