[Tagging] nautical channels

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Jun 30 18:13:43 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:42 AM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 14:03 Paul Allen, <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote
>

>> The way to handle navigable channels across lagoons/lakes is covered at
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:route
>> (you might have to invent route=boat or route=ship).
>>

> I am aware the route relations for, e.g., ferry boats.
> What I want to tag are not routes but the water-equivalent of roads. The
> ferry-boat route (in the lagoon of Venice) uses the navigation channels
> ("canali") like a bus line follows roads.
> At present (always on the lagoon of Venice) mappers would map each
> "vaporetto" (water bus) route as a separate way plus the "canali" as
> separate, more or less parallel, ways.

I think you're referring to the navigation channel, ie, the area between
the red and green markers?  If so, the suggestion downthread for
"dredged_channel" isn't necessarily going to match this, as the navigation
channel isn't necessarily dredged.

For those not familiar, navigation channels are marked with red buoys or
markers down the right side of the channel when returning to land (red,
right, return).  Green buoys or markers go down the right side of the
channel when you're going out to sea.  In many places that have a formal
separation between the directions of travel, white buoys may be down the
middle of the channel, and traffic operates to the right side of the center
buoys (though in absence of such buoys, traffic still generally operates in
a righthand pattern).  The red and green markers indicate that navigation
should not occur outside that zone (though, at least in places I've
navigated, this is almost always further out than what is visibly possible,
as it's pretty common for bouys and markers to appear *well past* the
riverbank on the Columbia and Willamette Rivers)