[Tagging] Different postal codes in each side of the street

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 22:12:56 UTC 2018

Oops, sent an earlier attempt from the wrong place:

TIGER:zip_left and zip_right were intended to be ZIP codes, because
they were there to help census workers find the houses who hadn't
returned census forms (which were sent out to postal addresses).
They were never entirely correct, though, and were based on an
incorrect mental model of "ZIP code as an area feature" rather than
"a set of discrete points where the truck delivers the mail". So
the whole idea was pretty screwy right from the start. (For instance,
my workplace has a unique five-digit ZIP code. When I started
here back in the day, it didn't have a building number, because
it was the only address in its ZIP code. Eventually the fire
brigade insisted that it have one, and it acquired a vanity
address: One Research Circle.)

When I'm entering a building address, I fill in number and street,
city, state and ZIP code - the entire tuple. I see very little value
to tiger:zip at this point.

If I'm moving down a street, entering address after address, JOSM
does handle things quite conveniently, with most of the fields
pre-filled. (I wish it had a custom increment value. A lot of the
streets in my community have building numbers that increment
by 4 instead of 1 or 2, so that there's a little room for expansion
if someone subdivides a building lot.)