[Tagging] 'Unknown' value.

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 23:35:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 5:46 PM, marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:
> SomeonElse write me today because since access=unknown could have a
> hidden meaning (= for access key, the mapper doesn't know if access is
> allowed and wants to make it known that it's complicated), he finds that
> this cleaning should be reverteded, at least for cases that don't fit in
> the cases previously listed in the discussions (application bug, import
> of bad qualities).

'wheelchair' is quite possibly a different situation. Is 'wheelchair=yes'
the default assumption anywhere?

For the access and transport mode tags, the routing engines take
'yes' as the default for a good many types of ways; 'highway=path'
or 'highway=track' default to 'foot=yes'.

Where I don't know for sure that foot traffic is lawful, I don't want to
tag 'foot=no', (likewise, bicycle, ski, motor vehicle, etc.). And the
default for the type of the way is 'yes', so I need a third value. That
seems to be what 'unknown' is for.

For that reason, there are some snowmobile routes that I've tagged
'highway=track access=unknown snowmobile=yes' in that I know
they're lawful for snowmobilists (who pay a special tax for the
privilege, assessed on the registration of their sleds) but don't
know the policy for other modes.