[Tagging] Manor tagging

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Mar 18 22:46:11 UTC 2018

W dniu 17.03.2018 o 12:51, Christoph Hormann pisze:

> I have mentioned this many times in different situations before: The
> purpose of the tag documentation on the wiki is to document actual use
> of tags.  This derives from
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like.

This page says nothing about the purpose of Wiki and I don't agree with
this interpretation (derivation). It just explains that it's good to
document the usage of tags and why documenting is useful (this is the
purpose of documenting process), but it does not go too far - let me quote:

"Documenting allows others to find your features or even to correct
mapping errors they encounter near you.

Documenting is especially useful later on, if someone proposes a tagging
for the superset of the feature you've been adding. Then your
experiences and features can be incorporated into that proposal process,
and in the far out case even be converted to the new scheme, if accepted."

OK - I think it's all true, but how does it help in the case like manor?

> If the wiki is
> no good you should look at how the tag is actually used and improve the
> documentation based on that.  Even if the wiki seems to consistently
> describe the meaning of a tag that is not necessarily the actual
> meaning of this tag.

The manor case shows that both schemes are used and I can't see the
difference in wiki meaning. I also don't expect to see the difference in
the usage - but here's the catch: how should I find such difference?
Most probably in all cases this is just "a manor" and this is not a
tagging error, just two competing schemes, both proper and following the
rules.

Most data consumers could just use both (or pick favored one), but
osm-carto tries to "prevent unfavorable fragmentation of tag use" by
design, so I like to know if this fragmentation is really unfavorable -
or maybe accepted, for example?

My intuition is that Wiki's purpose is to help data consumers find the
common way of tagging things (for mapping, rendering, analyzing... etc.)
and just documenting two proper schemes does not fulfill this purpose.

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]