[Tagging] Nursing homes

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Mar 23 00:50:43 UTC 2018

On 23.03.2018 00:27, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-03-22 at 19:19 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The other thing is that the tag that renders in map edit & also on OSMAND+
>>> shows someone in a wheelchair? Yes, there will be a number of people in any
>>> nursing home confined to a wheelchair, but there are also a *lot* who
>>> aren't! Are we possibly inviting complaints suggesting that nursing
>>> home =disabled?
>>
>> (First, that's a discussion for osmand or carto;

I am not aware of any wheelchair symbol in osm carto.
Graeme mentioned "map edit", which I assume means the iD editor, and OsmAnd.

>> the tag is fine even if renderers do something unwanted.)

I think Graeme's original question was about campus and building tagging.
As nursing homes often have some green area around, mapping the campus is preferred, and the campus
gets the amenity tag. The building on campus are just tagged building=* according to their typus.

Only if there is no campus, the amenity tag goes on the building, that seems to be the case in the
other example, just the building tag is missing here.

There are other building tagging errors nearby, e.g. "Varsity view" with a building around buildings
(if these are towers, they would have to be tagged building:part=yes instead).

On 23.03.2018 00:06, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
 > (which is now  supposed to be amenity=social_facility & so on, ...

Indeed, the more modern style of tagging is amenity=social_facility which in carto renders as caring
hands, both on buildings or campus, and can be sub-tagged with nursing home, assisted living and so on.

tom