[Tagging] Still RFC — Drop stop positions and platforms

"Christian Müller" cmue81 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 28 14:21:43 UTC 2018

> Sent: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 16:53:28 +0300
> From: "Ilya Zverev" <ilya at zverev.info>
> To: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [Tagging] Still RFC — Drop stop positions and platforms
>
> Hi folks,
>
> A while ago I've made a proposal to deprecate some public_transport=* tags:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Drop_stop_positions_and_platforms

In your proposal you complain about subjectively felt things like "history won't go away", but at the same time you are trying to revert a part of history itself - "the public_transport tags are seven years old now".  Many people were involved creating those tags, they are well understood and discriminate the features they describe in a thoroughly documented and plausible way.

Just because a lot of deprecated tags have not vanished in favor of the new ones yet does not mean there is a preference on the deprecated tags.  A lot of users and apps have adopted the new public_transport tags.  It simply does not make any sense to do a rollback on these for the observation of a sluggish adoption/transition rate.

The proposal has been long thought about and delivers, in itself, a coherent way of tagging public transport infrastructure.  It has learned from previous tags, it is thus a refinement of the previous tagging.  There will be lots of people -unheared and not- that oppose breaking a (slow moving) transition process at this point in time.  Just be patient and give it some more years.

You could help and promote the adoption, instead of dilating it.  A lot of rural area data has not been touched for years, waiting for you to do research and remapping efforts.

Greetings
cmuelle8