[Tagging] Still RFC — Drop stop positions and platforms

Marián Kyral mkyral at email.cz
Wed Mar 28 15:48:12 UTC 2018

---------- Původní e-mail ----------
Od: "Christian Müller" <cmue81 at gmx.de>
Komu: tagging at openstreetmap.org
Datum: 28. 3. 2018 16:22:41
Předmět: Re: [Tagging] Still RFC — Drop stop positions and platforms
"> Sent: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 16:53:28 +0300
> From: "Ilya Zverev" <ilya at zverev.info>
> To: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [Tagging] Still RFC — Drop stop positions and platforms
>
> Hi folks,
>
> A while ago I've made a proposal to deprecate some public_transport=*
tags:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Drop_stop_positions_
and_platforms

In your proposal you complain about subjectively felt things like "history
won't go away", but at the same time you are trying to revert a part of
history itself - "the public_transport tags are seven years old now". Many
people were involved creating those tags, they are well understood and
discriminate the features they describe in a thoroughly documented and
plausible way.

Just because a lot of deprecated tags have not vanished in favor of the new
ones yet does not mean there is a preference on the deprecated tags. A lot
of users and apps have adopted the new public_transport tags. It simply does
not make any sense to do a rollback on these for the observation of a
sluggish adoption/transition rate.

"

I fully agree with this.

I'm still waiting for full support of new public_transport schema on maps
(especially on the "transport" layer on osm.org) and decommission of the old
schema. Still no progress on it.. Instead, we still have to use obsolete
tags like highway=bus_stop to see stops on the map. It is mapping  for
render I think and we should stop doing it, convert old schema objects to
new schema (a MapRoulette task?) and use only new schema.

I think the new schema is really good and should be fully implemented. It
means have support in editors and renderers.

Marián