[Tagging] Still RFC — Drop stop positions and platforms

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Thu Mar 29 01:56:46 UTC 2018

W dniu 28.03.2018 o 18:42, Jo pisze:
> I've tried to accomplish that many years ago already, it failed. The
> people at the helm of the rendering stack consider the 'old' tags good
> enough and the new scheme somehow not explicit enough, hence the
> double tagging.

I'm not sure who do you mean, but I certainly want to make it render on
osm-carto. It wasn't possible before we have hstore few months ago
(v4.0.0+) and I had to learn coding with this feature enabled, but now
it's much closer to being reality - I need just some time probably, but
any help is welcome. Related issue:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/435

> Dropping the tags you call obsolete from the data, is not an option as
> far as I'm concerned. Part of the reason for mapping bus stops, is to
> get them rendered on the map. That's not tagging for the renderer,
> that's merely being practical and adapting to the situation at hand.

Tagging for rendering is confusing slogan. There's nothing wrong in the
literal sense, the problem is with faking data just to show something on
the map. Double tagging is a problem too, but transition is always
troublesome process.

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]