[Tagging] Route members: ordered or not

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Thu May 3 16:19:45 UTC 2018

Good idea to re-order the ways within a route relation, but please,
don't reverse the ways to make them join up nicely head-to-tail! The
direction of ways is used for so many things that this could cause
untold collateral damage.

This might be obvious to many mappers, but it is definitely something
that well-meaning inexperienced mappers need to understand.

Colin

On 2018-05-03 17:26, Yves wrote:

> Un-ordered route members make it very hard to detect a broken route.
> Best practice :
> 1. If you edit a route, order it at best and check if you haven't broken it.
> 2. If you find an unordered route, order it, check if broken and try to repair it.
>
> Use for instance http://ra.osmsurround.org/.
> Yves
>
> Le 3 mai 2018 17:05:32 GMT+02:00, Michael Andersen <osm at hjart.dk> a écrit :
>
> I regularly edit a number of cycle routes (primarily the danish national
> cycleroutes) and do my best to sort/order the members (it's helpfull when
> looking for gaps and other peculiarities in JOSM), but have found that it's
> often near impossible to make them perfectly sorted.
>
> Consider for example https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/20828. Where's the
> end points here?
>
> Also note that inexperienced mappers doing minor edits somewhere along a route
> cannot be expected to reorder it.
>
> On torsdag den 3. maj 2018 07.38.04 CEST Tod Fitch wrote:
> While I've mapped a number of trails most of them are not part of a
> designated larger route so I am not 100% sure, but I think hiking routes
> are much like highway routes: The ways in the relation should be ordered.
>
> Not sure why you'd need a node in there, especially without an explicit
> role. If the route ways are ordered it is obvious where the end points are.
>
> Cheers!
>
> On May 3, 2018, at 5:06 AM, David Marchal <Penegal at live.fr> wrote:
>
> Hello, there.
>
> I recently worked a bit on hiking routes, and noticed that some routes
> have unordered members. That's particularly noticeable on
> waymarkedtrails.org <http://waymarkedtrails.org/>, as it makes the
> elevation graph rubbish and useless. I read the relation:route wiki page,
> but there is only advice regarding stops order, and not way members
> order. Shouldn't there be a note on this page regarding the importance of
> sorting the ways to have a more useful relation than only spaghettis?
>
> By the way, I saw some hiking relations having a node without explicit
> role, seemingly as a start point; is it a generally accepted, used
> feature, or only an idiosyncrasy?
>
> Awaiting your answers,
>
> Regards.

Yves