[Tagging] Slipway vs boat ramp

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu May 3 21:59:25 UTC 2018

On 04/05/18 07:11, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Hi Mike
>
> I agree with you that a slipway is not a boat ramp & vice versa, &
> have wondered the same thing myself when marking them, but don't think
> there are any alternatives?
>
> I guess it's another OSM "one word used worldwide" problem?

Looks like it comes from wkipedias definition.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipway
That looks to have many inconstancies to my eye.

Note that OSM slipway was never approved by this tagging group.

If it were then probably;

leisure key would be rejected - slipways are used for work not just
leisure, so man_made would be better.

slipways would be distinguished from boat ramps as they have different
facilities and may lack car/trailer abilities.

Maybe this needs to be addressed?