[Tagging] Route members: ordered or not

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Thu May 3 23:10:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will try to explain this in a more systematic way:
>
> Routes belong to either of two categories:
> (A) Those whose members can be sorted into a single ordered sequence
> (B) Those that cannot be sorted into a single ordered sequence of members
> Sorting makes only sense for category (A)
> Routes of type (B) can be subdivided into routes of type (A), each of
> which can be sorted, but the overall route can not be sorted.
>
> There are many routes with loops, spurs, roundabouts, etc. for which it
makes eminent sense to sort the "main stem" of the route - and that don't
turn to hash on Waymarked Trails.

One that I assembled (and now find damaged - I have to hunt down how it
acquired 'Genesee Valley Greenway' and lost 'Erie Canalway Trail'!) is the
Mohawk-Hudson Bikeway.  https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/306742

I tried to have the ways sorted as much as possible, and to keep the places
where it splits as near contiguous as possible. None of the tools seem to
have any problem with having the divided sections like the pair
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/43395984  and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/5592813 as long as one direction is
chosen as the 'main stem' and left contiguous.

I haven't yet hit this situation with walking trails.  The most complex
situation I've seen so far for them has been high-water, bad-weather, or
beaver bypasses; I map those as separate trails and explain in the
description. That sort of thing isn't uncommon around me. People, for
instance, often walk the circuit of the rim trails in one of my local
nature preserves, and take https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/201998754 only
if the ford is impassable at https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/201998755

The tools are also becoming more tolerant of gaps. I know that I still have
a half-dozen or so gaps to fill in
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=919642 but Waymarked Trails is
no longer refusing to show elevation profiles.

Since I use JOSM almost exclusively, I'm happy to re-sort routes when I
come upon mis-sorted ones. It would be good if people learnt to do better,
but I'm not annoyed at all about doing that sort of tidying.