[Tagging] Is it possible to have highway=unclassified with ref tag?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun May 6 16:13:23 UTC 2018

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 2:41 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
wrote:

> I am pretty sure that it is entirely possible to have highway=unclassified
> with officially assigned and posted ref number, but I wanted to check
> whatever my edit on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%
> 3Dunclassified
> was correct.

Not only is it possible, but it's also typical in much of the midwest.

Local example: The farther away you get from any town or city, and
especially if you're not directly on one of the four cardinal directions
from Tulsa or Oklahoma City, the more likely every road you encounter will
be ref=CR DXXXX and have no name.  The D is usually N or E, and the XXXX is
the number of tenths of a mile you are either south or east of the
northwesternmost corner of the Oklahoma panhandle (so around Rogers County
northeast but nearish Tulsa, you see a lot of CR E31x0 roads and CR N07x0
roads, none with names).