[Tagging] Is it possible to have highway=unclassified with ref tag?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue May 8 00:19:40 UTC 2018

Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> writes:

> But when a highway has an officially assigned ref doesn't that define it as
> "classified"? I don't have a large stake in this discussion but it would

You would think.  But no.

In the UK, there is a notion of A/B/C roads, and then unclassified.  I
gather this means they are part of the network but not declared one of
A/B/C.

I was in Scotland (in the highlands just off Skye) in 2016, and saw a
road that was U, and signed as UXXXX (a real number, but I don't
remember it).  It was even more minor than the nearby C road.

> seem to me that any road so ranked by the authorities should not be tagged
> as unclassified.

If you think of it as A/B/C/D where A is the most important
(non-Interstate) roads and D the least, where D roads are just barely
worthy of being numbered, but that we call D as U instead because that's
what they do in the UK, I think you are not that far off.

Around me, unclassified is typically used for roads that are somewhat
more important than others, but not to the level of being numbered.