[Tagging] Is it possible to have highway=unclassified with ref tag?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue May 8 04:33:00 UTC 2018

Reminds me of an earlier career where I sometime had to deal with sensitive documents. All documents had to classified: “Top Secret”, “Secret”, “Confidential”, etc. But if a document did not require clearance to access it was classified as “unclassified”. Basically anything that was not classified as something else was classified as unclassified. Bureaucrats are wonderful at coming up with that type of thing.

I view the OSM/UK highway classification scheme the same way: “Unclassified” is a bucket to put things into that don’t meet the criteria for the other classifications. Perhaps it would have been better if they had used the word “other” but they didn’t. So just look up the code word “unclassified” in your OSM to American English code book and read out “other”. Not a motorway, trunk, primary, secondary, residential, service, track, etc.? Then it must be classified as “unclassified” (i.e. “other”).