[Tagging] Is it possible to have highway=unclassified with ref tag?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue May 8 19:58:05 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 8. May 2018, at 11:26, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Perhaps, if we reach a conclusion here, the documentation may need to be
> updated to make things a little more clear.

which part would you like to change / reword specifically?

With regard to the topic, IMHO there is no problem with unclassified roads having a ref. Road numbering generally doesn’t relate to OSM road classes, the meaning of route classes depends on the local situation. For example in Germany or Italy (AFAIK in France as well) it indicates the territorial entity which is in charge of the road maintenance (and maybe also of planning, building and operating). While it probably once was and in many cases still is a hierarchical system of network importance (national roads more important than regional roads than municipal roads), there are also quite some exceptions now for different (historic, political, etc.) reasons.

While the route numbering system is the most known administrative road system, it is not necessarily the one with the best correspondence to osm highway classes. For example the German administration has different classes they use internally for the planning of the network, consisting of 6 classes for connection significance, and 5 categories for the typology according to context. The combination of both describes the road type: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richtlinien_für_integrierte_Netzgestaltung

Similar codes will likely exist in most places. I am telling this to encourage people not to feel bound by route numbers when classifying roads, those are probably not the only “official” system used for road classification in your country.

Cheers,
Martin