[Tagging] brand=* necessary?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu May 10 13:05:42 UTC 2018

On 10.05.2018 09:52, marc marc wrote:
> Imho it us the opposite : name should be added only if it us not the
> same as brand

That approach is different from real-world usage of the tags and appears
to offer little practical benefit.

As far as I can tell, many – probably most – mappers look at the store's
sign and add that appellation to the name tag, no matter whether it's
the name of an individual store or the brand of a chain of stores.

It turns out this usage matches the usual expectations of data consumers
and map users, so I don't see a strong incentive to change it.

I appreciate that there's technically a distinction to be made. And of
course I'm also ok with people who care about these subtleties adding
operator=* and brand=* tags. But personally, I find the intricacies of
corporate organization and branding very uninteresting and would like to
stick with a solution that allows most mappers to not care about it.