[Tagging] complete tagging of all 'right of way'-cases

Ruben Kelevra ruben at vfn-nrw.de
Thu May 10 17:19:07 UTC 2018

> 10 May 2018 16:58:23 +0200 Mateusz Konieczny
> <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>:
>> 10. May 2018 14:57 by ruben at vfn-nrw.de <mailto:ruben at vfn-nrw.de>:
>> # currently missing: right-before-left/left-before-right
>>
>> Since there is no tag for this, I guess it's reasonable to define
>> one the same way as for 4-way-stops. I think highway=give_way and
>> give_way=all or default (analog to maxheight) makes the most sense
>> (currently give_way=all is used 3 times worldwide).
>>
>> If right-before-left or left-before-right should be decided by the
>> national boundary, not on any intersecting node.
> give_way=no_priority?
Yeah, this one sounds better.

> 10 May 2018 16:53:30 by Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>:
>> 10. May 2018 14:57 by ruben at vfn-nrw.de:
>> Hey guys,
>> # currently missing: priority road by road design
>> A lowered curb at a street on an intersection makes this road to
>> yield, without the need for a sign (in Germany)
>> I think we should tag this separately since there are no signs
>> involved. I have currently no idea how to tag this.
> Wiki already documents that highway=give_way is forĀ
> "Used to mark give way (also known as yield) signs or markings"
>
> I would consider it as a form of marking, close to painted signs like
> at
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Junction_of_Cleveland_Road_and_Ratcliffe_Close_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1518836.jpg
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Junction_of_Cleveland_Road_and_Ratcliffe_Close_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1518836.jpg>

Thanks for the hint, this sounds like we should add a subtag, like
give_way:type=[curb, road_marking, sign, inferred]
or give_way=[curb, road_marking, sign, inferred] (since this tag has
zero usage currently this also works for stop=* or stop:type=*.

The last value can be used when it's obvious, but no special markings
can be found (already discovered two such spots in my surroundings
today).

Since I'm not a native English speaker, correct me when I misuse this
word. :)

> 10 May 2018 16:53:30 by Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>:
> PS You may wish to make shorter mails in future and try to tackle one
> issue at once
>
> (maybe with link to essay describing all related concepts).
>
> It will avoid tl;dr problem.

Well, thanks. I thought a not so cluttered way to deliver all
necessary information would be better. It's actually hard to break
down since all approaches currently focus on just one specific topic.
I like to fix this with a step back and a look at the whole picture, to
find an evenly acceptable solution for all cases.

Best regards,

Ruben