[Tagging] tagging of one-way cycle lanes

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Fri May 11 08:21:17 UTC 2018

I'm not sure why we are wasting any time on discussing possible changes to the definition of the lanes tag her.

The tag goes back to pretty much the start of OSM and is in widespread usage. Any change in definition that fundamentally changes what value goes into the key given a specific situation is basically impossible at this point. Otherwise you end up with a mix of tags where the value means one thing and where the value means another thing, with no way to distinguish the two, making the tag completely useless.

The lanes tag is what it is, which is essential "if you show picture of the street to your average person (which has nothing to do with OSM), how many lanes would that person say the picture shows".

The lanes=x tag has its definition of what a lane is _for purpose of this tag_. That definition has remained and will remain unchanged.

The :lanes suffix has its definition of what a lane is _for purpose of this tag_. That definition has remained and will remain unchanged.

The definitions of what a lane is for these two tags are different. That's fine. They don't have to be the same.