[Tagging] tagging of one-way cycle lanes

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 17:49:04 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 6:16 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> This honestly sounds more of gatekeeping through laziness than an actual
> barrier.
>
> It does not sound that way to me.  It sounds to me like there is a very
real problem in
redefining, in an INCOMPATIBLE way, a tag which has been used 7,972,733
times.

There is no magic wand that can do an automatic global edit because EACH
INDIVIDUAL USE must be checked ON THE GROUND to see if the current
value is retained under the new definition or if it must be changed.

None of those manual changes are going to happen overnight. This means that
there will be a period of time, probably YEARS, when consumers can't be
sure of
what they're getting.  Actually, it will take years for 90% changeover and
decades
to catch it all.

At which point in that long transition should editors switch?  And when
should
renderers switch?  And when should routeing algorithms switch?

This proposal is MADNESS.

--
Paul