[Tagging] tagging of one-way cycle lanes

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Mon May 14 08:37:13 UTC 2018

As far as I can tell, for two-way streets, there is no differences, it’s just more explicit.

Given the difference in usage numbers (1522 vs. 254509) I would go with just cycleway=lane (I actually checked these numbers before I made that last post).

For one-way streets, I’m not sure how most software is going to interpret it. As it’s somewhat ambiguous, I would say the better solution with a oneway street is to go with an explicit:

cycleway:left=lane

cycleway:right=lane

if one of the two is for traffic against the flow indicated by the oneway tag, use:

cycleway:left=opposite_lane (or cycleway:right, depending)

oneway:bicycle=no

if there is only one cycle lane, but it’s allowed to travel in both directions on an otherwise one-way road use:

cycleway:left=opposite (or cycleway:right, depending which side, as seen from the forward direction of the main oneway road the two-way cycle lane is one)

oneway:bicycle=no

(yes, that isn’t exactly the best value, but that’s what the wiki defines and looking at overpass query results, it seems to be used as such)