[Tagging] tagging of one-way cycle lanes

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Mon May 14 08:51:31 UTC 2018

Just a plain cycleway=opposite_lane is somewhat ambiguous, so I would recommend an explicit cycleway:left or cycleway:right.

opposite_lane indicates that there is one cycle lane, which only allows traffic in the direction opposite of the oneway traffic. Bicycle traffic in one-way direction would use the “normal” road.

If there are actually two cycle lanes, one in oneway direction and one against, use:

cycleway:left=lane

cycleway:right=opposite_lane

(or the other way around, depending on situation).

If bicycles are allowed to travel against the oneway, but there is no explicit lane marked for them, use: (this is correcting my previous post)

cycleway=opposite

(my previous post was somewhat wrong, as if there is no explicitly marked lane, using cycleway:left or cycleway:right for the value opposite only makes sense if there are signs explicitly telling you what side to travel on. I would assume that in case of a plain cycleway=opposite, the normal left-/right-hand traffic rules of the location apply.)