[Tagging] type=route tagged on a way?

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Thu May 17 16:36:29 UTC 2018

Well, if this particular way of tagging things is generally supported by data consumers, then I would consider it a documentation error instead of a tagging error.

But if it’s not used by data consumers in this form (while the same information on a relation is), and clearly the people creating these tags intended them to be usable, then I would consider a tagging error.

So, yeah, I would say that “tagging error” IS in a part defined by data consumers.

The “correct” way of tagging something is in the end defined by a somewhat nebulous consensus between the way people tag and the way data consumers interpret that data.