[Tagging] type=route tagged on a way?

Yves yvecai at gmail.com
Thu May 17 18:39:47 UTC 2018

I think that's not an error per de, but a 'add as many tag as possible to be sure to do thevright thing'.
I think data consumers shouldn't encourage this though.
Osm2pgsql users probably don't make a difference between a way and a relation if is has type=route. It could matter if other tools have to follow to properly exploit the data, but I don't know.
Yves

Le 17 mai 2018 18:36:29 GMT+02:00, osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au a écrit :
>Well, if this particular way of tagging things is generally supported
>by data consumers, then I would consider it a documentation error
>instead of a tagging error.
>

>But if it’s not used by data consumers in this form (while the same
>information on a relation is), and clearly the people creating these
>tags intended them to be usable, then I would consider a tagging error.
>

>So, yeah, I would say that “tagging error” IS in a part defined by data
>consumers.
>

>The “correct” way of tagging something is in the end defined by a
>somewhat nebulous consensus between the way people tag and the way data
>consumers interpret that data.

Yves