[Tagging] RFC proposed water property key 'ephemeral '

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue May 22 22:53:56 UTC 2018

On 23/05/18 07:25, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

> 21. May 2018 22:34 by 61sundowner at gmail.com
> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Following from the discussion on "Seasonal, intermittent, and
>     ephemeral water tags" I have created this proposal.
>

>     Hopefully the definition is tight enough that it excludes
>     intermittent, seasonal and any other thing that is not ephemeral.
>
>     I have also included a guide on determination so that mappers can
>     see how to determine if something is ephemeral.
>

>     So here it is ...
>
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/ephemeral
>

>     Is it clear? Do you understand it?
>

> No, "ephemeral=summer" is unclear -

It is a possible ephemeral flow (a flow of short duration) ... that can
only occur in summer.

Similar to a tag seasonal=summer ... something that is seasonal that can
only occur in summer.

I quote from the seasonal OSM wiki page
"describes exact season (if possible) when feature is present."

I'll put simillar on the proposed ephemeral page too, see below.

> is it
>
> for flow that is constant but ephemeral

An ephemeral flow is of short duration.
A constant flow would be there all the time ... so it could never be
described as ephemeral.

-------------------
The tagging text on the ephemeral page now reads
"If a season is specified it states the exact season (if possible) when
the ephemeral can occur, during other seasons there would be no
ephemeral flow.

For example, when tagged  ephemeral=summer the ephemeral flow can only
take place in summer, thus the ephemeral flow is restricted to one season."

Is that clear?

Note that ephemeral=yes does not mean that a flow will occur every year.
It only says that any flow will be of short duration and will be dry
most of the time.