[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:17:50 UTC 2018

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 23. May 2018, at 09:18, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
>>
>> - Is service a street category below unclassified/residential?
>> - Does a service road typically have a right of way for the public?
>> - Is service usage "just because there is only one house/company/farm"
>>   valid?
>
> in the countryside  I map either driveways (on private property) or access roads to “things” (e.g. smaller power facilities) as service,

A 'driveway' in country Australia can be 100kms long... I usually use unclassified for them... they tend to be the same physically as the local 'unclassified' roads.

>   but I use hw service and service=alley for very small public ways which do not have access restrictions but width doesn’t permit using them with a car (or hardly),

I mark back lanes in cities and towns with service, alley if I remember .. they are usable by public cars .. and trucks if they can manage the turns.
Typically these lanes were created to 'service' 'night soil' retrieval before sewers were put in.