[Tagging] Sample tagging for highways with no lane markings

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu May 24 04:13:35 UTC 2018

On 24/05/18 13:47, Tod Fitch wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>     Hmmm. I guess driving culture may vary from place to place in the
>>     US. I always keep to the right regardless of the existence of a
>>     lane markings. I will admit, however, that traffic studies
>>     indicate that the average driver will be a bit more to the center
>>     of the pavement if there are no lane markings. Similarly, at
>>     least in residential areas, it has been found that drivers will
>>     generally go slower if there is no center marking. At least that
>>     is the rational my local government is using to remove the center
>>     divider marking for traffic calming purposes.
>>
>> While this may be true, most people will shy towards center (and
>> perhaps even stay in center) for most of their trip down a standard
>> width street (which, while typically 40 feet, this is /inclusive/ of
>> all features including sidewalks, making the effective width of the
>> roadway closer to 25 feet, a random pull from Mesa, Arizona's design
>> guide <http://www.mesaaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=1044> blindly from
>> Google confirms this, with their design guide being 27 feet across
>> between curbs), means that two full size pickups can (barely) pass
>> two cars parked on opposite sides of the street at once.  That's also
>> generously wide compared to a lot of places, many suburban and small
>> town residential streets I've encountered are open-edged with parking
>> off the paved area, and the paved area being maybe 20 feet on a
>> particularly wide street.  New urbanist street designs are similarly,
>> deliberately, narrow as a traffic calming measure, as parked vehicles
>> will tend to provide de facto ad hoc chicanes.  As such, if lanes are
>> marked at all, it's usually at the very ends of blocks only, where
>> parking is prohibited, as a confirmation that the street is indeed
>> two-way and provide a hint as to the default passing rule.
>
> I have noticed that newer developments, especially infill development,
> have narrower residential roads than where I live. And I admit I did
> not look up current design standards. I simply took a tape measure to
> a number of residential streets in my neighborhood. The one in front
> of my house is 40’0" +/- 1" between the curbs. There are sidewalks but
> I excluded them from my 40’ number. Subjectively my current street
> seems about the same as others in the area and the same as my in
> previous neighborhood in a different city. Both neighborhoods are
> older, laid out when accommodating the automobile was high on the list
> of design criteria. It would be interesting to pull out the design
> standards that were in effect in the 1950s, 60s and 70s when much of
> our current suburbia was created. I would not be surprised if a lot of
> our current stock of residential roads are wider than the current
> standards specify.
>
> By the way, I don’t see a way to tag the accuracy or confidence level
> for a measurement. Seems like we ought to have something like
> *:confidence=*, similar to the *:lanes tagging so we could, for

The metrology term is 'uncertainty' .. so

width:uncertainty=2'0"
To be complete there would need to be a statement of level of confidence
and coverage factor.
However, for OSM simplicity, it could be assumed to have a normal
distribution covering one standard deviation .. making the confidence
level ~68% and the coverage factor ~1.
Of course the stated confidence level and coverage factor would be
assessed by the next metrologist.

There is a rough wikipedea thing on it .. it is rough.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measurement_uncertainty ...
Best to look at the second reference in that wikipedia page ... NPL do
good articles.