[Tagging] highway=service // public road?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri May 25 12:42:25 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 11:54:13AM +0900, John Willis wrote:
> > On May 25, 2018, at 2:29 AM, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:
> >
> > Interestingly the key:highway wiki page lists unclassified as
> > the lowest classification of a road:
>
> That’s weird - since service=alley seems to be the lowest class, being service and all - yet "alley” is a public road.
>
> I personally think that the idea of “alley” (urban or rural) is a great concept.

But the original wording for service made it something completely
different. Usage in parts of the world seem to contradict this (maybe)
and there might be need for "something even smaller" than unclassified.

IMHO the usage of service for some "official small public road" breaks
the concept of a special way not in the public road network, but on
private property. IMHO service=alley way a bad concept - something
like highway=alley would probably be much better.

> So I map them as such, and will continue to do so, under the idea of “alley”.

Flo