[Tagging] roundtrip

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 12:53:45 UTC 2018

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com>
wrote:

When applied to a route, I would leave out that it is the same vehicle,
> because when you book or buy a round trip, most of the time you have a
> different vehicle for the return trip.

You've strayed into the territory between British and American English.
It's important because OSM English
is (largely) a dialect of British English.  In British English there is a
distinction between round trips and returns, in
American English there isn't.  Circulars are yet another thing.

In British English a round trip is from A to A, on the same vehicle
(exception: vehicle breakdowns).  In
the case of sightseeing tours and boat trips, it may not be possible (or
permitted) to alight and disembark at
any point but A.  A return is applied to tickets: a return ticket is valid
for a journey from A to B and a journey from B to A,
often on the same day but sometimes valid for longer than a single day.
You might come back on the same vehicle
and even stay at B for only as long as it takes for the vehicle to turn
around.  Or you might come back on a different
vehicle.  You might come back via a different route with a different
service number (if permitted).  A return ticket is
(usually) cheaper than two single tickets.

Returns are basically about pricing and shouldn't be mapped.  Round trips
are about a journey that takes you from
A to A, which might happen to pass some interesting things and may even lay
over for several minutes to allow you
to get off, have a quick look, then get back on.

Example: I get a bus to work.  I buy a return ticket because it's cheaper.
I get a bus home 8 hours later.  It
may or may not be the same vehicle.  It may or may not be the same driver.
It may take a different route if
there are variant routes.  I may be permitted to use a different service
with possibly a different route between
home and work.  It's not, in British English, a round trip.  I don't have
to buy a return ticket, or there may be a weekly
ticket, or I may get a lift home (if I regularly get a lift home I'd buy a
single rather than a return).

Example: I get on a tour bus.  It stops at various places to give people 30
minutes to look around.  It eventually
takes me back to the starting point.  It doesn't pick up additional
passengers along the way and it doesn't
permit people to get off at some point and not get back on (at least not
without some sort of prearrangement).
It is, in British English, a round trip.

Yes, there are always grey areas and exceptions, but those are the common
cases.

Although you may not be interested vehicle changes, they are one of the
main characteristics differentiating a round
trip from an ordinary route.  By your proposal just about all bus routes
are round trips, which is not a useful
distinction, because there are very few routes which are not round trips by
your proposal.

How much of this ought to be tagged, and how, is another matter. :)

--
Paul