[Tagging] new role for route relations: reverse

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 15:01:23 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> A few days ago I helped Paul Allen with mapping some bus routes.

For which, many thanks.  I have a few more questions about that route (I'll
contact you privately), because it's
*weird*

> During one of these itineraries, the bus has to do something totally
> counterintuitive, twice!

Actually, what the bus does is entirely intuitive.  What isn't intuitive is
why they planned the route that
way in the first place.  :)

> For the streets where the bus backs up in reverse, I would like to add a
> role=reverse. This should not conflict with the recently proposed
> role hail-and-ride, as I can't imagine one would be able to board the
> vehicle while it's backing up. It will always be on a way that is in the
> relation twice, so hail-and-ride can still be set on those ways where the
> bus drives forward.

It's strange that you should mention hail and ride.  Once it gets out of
the town centre, that route does indeed
operate as hail and ride.  I'm not sure if that is officially condoned by
the county council or the bus operator,
but that's what the drivers do.  But you're right about not conflicting
because the segments marked as
reverse also have to be traversed in a forward direction so a passenger
could board or alight on that segment
anyway.

--
Paul