[Tagging] visa offices tags

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Thu Nov 8 07:37:10 UTC 2018

I tagged one of these office=visa the other day.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4374770543

The offices I'm thinking of are private companies that have government
contracts to provide services that the government itself would normally
provide. In many cases they are indistinguishable from a government office,
so the question of verifiability enters my mind.

For instance, the UK visa office in Paris has big signs outside and inside
reading "Welcome to Great Britain". I'm frankly not sure if the space is
rented by the UK or by TLS Contact, which holds the contract.

https://corp.tlscontact.com

Their staff members gather the information for your application, including
fingerprints, photos, etc., as well as your passport. They then seal this
in a clear plastic container. After it is sealed, you cannot add or remove
anything. The fee is set by the UK and paid to TLS Contact.

The dossier then goes to London, where a decision is made on your visa and
the entire dossier is returned to Paris. You pick it up next door to the
original office from someone behind bulletproof glass. (You don't learn the
nature of the decision till you look at your passport.) This is the only
way to get a UK visa in Paris. If you go to the UK Embassy or Consulate,
they will direct you to the visa office.

Is this an "office=government"? It certainly is quasi-governmental. Do they
provide visa services? Surely yes, in my mind. In fact, they are the only
place in Paris that provide visa services for the UK. If you want to get
any kind of visa -- long term (expat), tourist, transit -- that's where you
go.

So (agreeing with John Willis) I'd say office=visa for these.

John