[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Mon Oct 1 04:07:20 UTC 2018

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:19:58 +0200
SelfishSeahorse <selfishseahorse at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 at 19:34, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I think it's better to stick to either a common or a technical
> > > definition.
> >

> > it doesn’t have to be the British definition of terms, has it?
>
> It would already be helpful if there actually were a common definition
> to distinguish masts from towers.
>
> By the way, i've written a message to the person who added the
> definition to the wiki that 'a tower is accessible and provides
> platforms, whereas a mast only offers ladder steps to climb it' [1]
> and asked him where this definition comes from and what 'accessible'
> exactly means (a ladder also provides access).

I suspect it comes from observing European-style radio towers (for
example, Fernsehturm Berlin[1]).  The confusion comes from the fact
that these are virtually unknown outside of Europe and Asia -- there's
only one in the Western Hemisphere, and none in Africa.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsehturm_Berlin

--
Mark