[Tagging] mast / tower / communication_tower (again)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:22:59 UTC 2018

Am Mo., 1. Okt. 2018 um 16:06 Uhr schrieb Andrew Harvey <
andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>:

> The rule of thumb I've been using is a mast being a simple pole (same
> width at base and top), and a tower being anything else that has more
> supports.

I would not negate that a mast can be tapered.

> I do think we need something simple to distinguish simple mobile phone
> towers like (1) and larger television/radio broadcast towers like (2)
> and it seems like mast/tower is it.

If this is the reason why we need a distinction, I'd rather use tags that
state it, then rely on some indirect fuzzy mast/tower distinction.
man_made=broadcast_tower vs. man_made=cellphone_tower (for example).
Certainly, choosing "communication tower" for both types but under
different keys wasn't  a solution that satisfies our requirements (reduce
confusion and be easily applicable while allowing to distinguish what
people want to distinguish).

Cheers,
Martin