[Tagging] Default Language Format; language:default or default:language?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 10:00:34 UTC 2018

Am Di., 2. Okt. 2018 um 11:40 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> If it’s in Germany, it would be perfectly fine to use name:de=Spazio
> Italian Bistrot, if most local people will be pronouncing it like a German
> name. But it might make the most sense to just use name=* or brand=*
> without attempting to pick a language.

indeed, pronounciation is key for me, too. A navigation app which names
this place should ideally pronounce it "correctly" as would a local
(someone in the language that is set in the app) do. My guess is that most
Germans would pronounce "spazio" with a German accent but would recognize
it as an Italian word and German being here similar in pronounciation to
Italian, would be easily understandable for an Italian. Most Germans  would
probably try to pronounce "Italian" as English (63% declared to be able to
speak English) and all but the most educationally challenged would
pronounce "Bistrot" in French (which is the common pronounciation in German
as well).

Cheers,
Martin