[Tagging] My "weirdly unnatural aversion to relations"

Richard ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 20:38:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 09:32:59PM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 2. Oct 2018 21:21 by ricoz.osm at gmail.com <mailto:ricoz.osm at gmail.com>:
>

> > On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 09:05:53PM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> >

> >> why abuse? Sole reason for multipolygon relations is to tag
> >> disjointed areas or areas with holes in them.
> >
> > you name it. AREAS. A university is not an area.
>

> Technically it is true.  But area of university is an area.

the problem arises when the university is a sum of diverse and distinct
features possibly overlapping with other features. Those are not required
to be areas and if you mix nodes/ways/areas you must use something different..
Does the area of the university include the roads and paths there? Country
specific. How do you exclude them from an area of the university if they
don't belong to the university?

My feeling is that multipolygons have enough problems if applied to
true areas.

Richard